- The Breast Cancer Awareness Commemorative Coin Act (H.R. 2722) would direct the U.S. Treasury to issue up to 50,000 $5 “pink gold” coins, up to 400,000 $1 silver coins and 750,000 half-dollar clad coins with a design to symbolize the fight against breast cancer in 2018.
- The production cost of these coins will be fully covered within the sales price, and the proceeds will benefit the Breast Cancer Research Foundation, headquartered in New York.
- The Breast Cancer Research Foundation (BCRF) has raised more than $500 million for research, making it one of the largest supporters of privately funded research across 25 states and 14 countries. BCRF is dedicated to keeping administrative costs low. Of every dollar donated to BCRF, $0.91 goes to research and awareness programs—$0.88 towards research and $0.03 towards awareness.
- Breast cancer is the most frequently diagnosed cancer among nearly every racial and ethnic group. Clinical advances resulting from research have led to increased survival rates, and death rates have dropped over 34 percent since 1990.
- The House of Representatives approved the bill introduced by Reps. Carolyn B. Maloney (NY-12) and Pete Sessions (TX-32) on July 15, 2015.
- The Senate approved Rep. Maloney’s on April 19, 2016.
Minna R. Elias
New York Chief of Staff
Congresswoman Carolyn B. Maloney
1651 Third Ave, Suite 311
New York, NY 10128
Tel: (212) 860-0606
Fax: (212) 860-0704
If you would like to receive Congresswoman Maloney's E-Newsletter, please click here